Sunday 19 September 2010

Happy Brambling



I find the lure of the bramble irresistible and this has been a very good year for blackberries.  The hedgerows are laden with plump purple berries.  The rewards are worth the trials - the scratched hands and stained fingers.
As if the prickles of the bramble weren't weapon enough to deter the picker, they also manage to grow amidst a host of the other well-armed plants.  There is a magnificent crop along the short cut up to the Hall but you need to be well protected.  I fought my way through nettles, hawthorn, dog roses, gorse, thistles and holly to reach the best berries.  This is where a stick comes in handy; although I found the Leki pole not nearly as effective as the old fashioned walking stick with the curved handle for grabbing that best spray of fruit that always seems to be just out of reach.
Once home the brambles have quickly been converted into jelly and blackberry and apple tarts.  I experimented this year and made some little filo tarts in muffin tins.  




Each sheet of filo pastry was cut into four and then two small sheets placed into the muffin tin at an angle to each other.  Layers of apple, blackberries were added with a little sugar (or granulated sweetener) between each layer.  Baked in a hot oven for about ten minutes they were delicious with a small dollop of creme fraiche or ice cream.  This batch didn't last long.
The first batch of jelly that I made was with pure blackberry juice but with the second batch I followed the recipe form the Glasgow Cookbook which includes apples with the berries.  I think I prefer the intensity of flavour of the pure bramble jelly.  It takes me back to my childhood and I still find hot buttered toast with bramble jelly one of life's pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment